Accreditation means an institution has been evaluated by an accrediting body and meets the standards of high-quality education. Universum College was accredited by the Kosovo Accreditation Agency for the first time in 2009 and re-accredited in 2021 for a period of 3 years, for Bachelor and Master Studies. Moreover, Universum College is licensed by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Kosovo which leads to study programs, institutional management, and quality assurance being highly appreciated by international experts.
The Mission of the Quality Assurance and Accreditation Office (QAAO) is to maintain the highest standards of education in teaching, learning, and curricula through coordination of assessment and review as well as the implementation and development of quality control.
PRINCIPLES AND METHODS OF QUALITY ASSURANCE
Universum College has approved the quality assurance principles outlined in the Declaration of the European University Association for Quality and Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education. These principles of quality management assurance have been adopted in the direction of developing policies and evaluation methods. According to these principles, Universum College should:
- maintain the primary responsibility for quality assurance within the institution, rather than through external mechanisms
- implement a comprehensive quality management approach
- evaluate all institutional activities, including: research, teaching and learning, service to society, and support services
- give special mission in the national context of Kosovo
- promote trust to partners
To implement the quality assurance principles, the Executive Board sets standards to guide the ZSCA mission. These standards ensure continuous improvement in institutional quality and quality assurance. Standards already established by the Executive Board are:
- Stay informed with the trends in providing quality education.
- Stay informed about changes in Kosovo’s accreditation requirements.
- Ensure standards in degrees and diplomas, qualifications given by the institution.
- Monitor the quality of teaching and student support in courses and programs.
- Create a continuous internal assessment of strengths and weaknesses in order to influence policies.
- Create a system of responsibility in teaching.
- Ensure quality education through the creation of learning outcomes, setting of credit standards, and curriculum evaluation.
- Involve students in quality assessment.
- Consult with Potential Employers in order to Provide Professional Opinions and Advice on Expected Course Outcomes.
- Develop internal review processes.
- Develop external review processes.
- Carry out the annual internal review of academic programs.
- Carry out the external review of academic programs in cooperation with the Kosovo Accreditation Agency every three years.
- Perform feasibility assessment activities to rank and structure courses in academic programs.
- Promote transparency in evaluation.
- Encourage an environment of ethical behavior and academic honesty within the institution as a whole.
The ZSCA mission has been achieved in relation to the Executive Board standards through established methods that are updated and continuously improved. These methods are based on quantitative and qualitative information and can be updated in order to improve the quality. These methods include:
- Student surveys are administered at the end of the semester.
- Statistics on students’ progress and success, including attendance, level of completion of studies, classes devoted to classes, and grades.
- Employment rate of graduates
- Surveys on student satisfaction
- Socio-economic data
- Statistics from annual and periodic reviews
- Reports from foreign appraisers
- Accreditation Reports and Recommendations
- Annual review programs
- Periodic reviews
- Student Assessment through Dialogue
- Surveys on the effectiveness of teaching
- Employee Surveys and the Industry of Professionals
- Staff Surveys
- Dialog student / counselor
PERIODIC INTERNAL REVIEWS OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
The purpose of periodic reviews of academic programs is to improve the overall effectiveness and quality of the program by updating it in order to reflect market trends and changes in education. For this purpose, many Internal Revision Procedures take place:
- Internal Report of the Academic Program
- Program Outline Review by the Academic Program Board
- Location Visit by the Academic Program Board
- Meeting between the staff of the Academic Program, the Board of the Academic Program and the Administration of Universum.
- Action Plan and Response from Program Review